Tuesday, September 8, 2009

3rd Grade



I decided today was a good day to start blogging again. I cannot guarantee that I will be consistent, but I want to try. Since I finished my Masters this summer and have nothing else but my three children, husband, dog, house, work, etc to keep me occupied, I figured blogging is a good time filler! So, today my first born started 3rd grade. First borns are great- I am not a first born, so I have no idea what it feels like to plow the path- I had an older brother who did it all before me. But Nolan doesn't, and he is a bit of a worrier, doesn't like surprises and generally has a need to know attitude- in a good way of course! We've been talking about the first day of school for weeks now and then it finally came....... we got up, got dressed, ate breakfast- sord of (I realized later that he was too nervous to eat) and then we went to school. Nolan asked that I walk him to class..... and stay! On the way in, he said "Mom, I am just scared". Poor guy- my sweet first born, who most days acts and talks like he is going to be 27 next week, was scared. I held on to his hand and the two of us walked..... he was fighting back the tears, as was I. I felt bad for him. We made it to class and he has the sweetest most understanding teacher. He cried a bit and then I had to leave. So I told him I would stand outside the door/window where he could see me and when he was ready and felt that I could go, to give me the thumbs up sign. I told him I would only go when I got the thumbs up sign. So, I waited- finally after about 5 minutes i got the sign! I was so proud of him. I emailed his teacher and she told me he was doing good!


So today is the first day of 3rd grade for Nolan and I hope he asks me to walk him to class for a very long time. I love this kid- he is a remarkable sweet, sensitive boy and I am so very proud of him.

2 comments:

scrapper said...

oh nolan! never change, never ever change.... sniff, sniff...

Ronnie said...

So happy to see more Avery Adventures! Nolan, such a great kid.

Ronnie